>>>>

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Playing with Jacks, and Quilters, and Longhorns!

BonnieAnitaAubrey
i want you to meet the newest up and coming future hall-of-fame quilter, Aubrey!

I so enjoy having young folks in class, and this  10 year old 4th grader came ready with fabric, her trusty featherweight that had been gifted to her by her great-grandmother, ready to take our Playing with Jacks workshop, which was also a Christmas gift!

Mentor and friend Anita was there by her side, and watching this young budding quilter learn so eagerly and try so hard, and finding herself just as capable as everyone else in the room just filled my heart with joy ALL DAY LONG!

How many of us find deep within ourselves, that inner young person that still lives inside of us, when we watch a younger person –sparking precious memories and bringing them to the surface?

I think inside of us all is this 10 year old 4th grade girl (or guy) so excited about EVERYTHING in life, and eager to learn.  Remember being 10?

20160130_153533

Way to go Aubrey!

She learned to cut with specialty rulers, she worked on her seam allowance, and we got her machine set up with a sticky seam guide and she just went to town like a pro.

Check out this little clip!



Thank you, Aubrey, for coming to class, for being willing and patient with us old ladies, and for reminding us ALL that we each have an eager 10 year old still living inside and we need to let her/him out to play every once in a while so that we can rediscover the wonder that this world has to offer!

Aubrey is also a grand champion.  In the Texas tradition, she and her Brahma heifer won Grand Champion at the Houston fair this past year – she is definitely one above all the rest, what an honor for her.  It also shows that she is capable of sticking to any challenge, can put in lots of hard work without faltering, and can keep her eye on the award at the end of a long journey!

I want to be like AUBREY when I grow up!

20160130_114319

These inner 10 year olds had a ball too!

I love these Sulphur Springs ladies!

20160130_115130

Sew on, girls!

20160130_112507

Stopping to snap a pic of Sandra’s Nelco baby!

We all agree, this 1950s machine is the exact color of SILLY PUTTY!  Yes, our inner 10 year olds remember silly putty!  If I think hard enough, I can even remember the smell, can you?

20160130_153224

Gorgeous blocks going up on the design wall!

20160130_143215

So simple, so fun!

Even though this is a simple little block, it holds limitless possibilities when it comes to layout.  You can find the free pattern for Playing with Jacks under the free patterns tab at the top of the blog.

20160130_150859

What a day to play!

20160130_151100

And we’ll do it again today!

Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device, you’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.

Playing With Jacks, Stitchin' Heaven, 2016




20160130_124908

Check out this horn span!!

20160130_160708-1

Holy ---Bull!

Irene and I enjoyed another sunshine filled walk during our lunch break and I had to stop and snap some photos…these guys are HUGE!  Seeing how big they are, and thinking of Aubrey raising Brahmas, wow!

1_31_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

In the immortal words of Reba McEntire - "Be different, stand out, and work your butt off!"

Vintage quilt found in North Carolina a couple of weeks ago on my journey home from South Carolina. I love when whooops are left in like this!

I’ve had a slight change of schedule.  I was going to draw for the winner of the Quiltmaker March/April issue tomorrow night, but I’ll be driving back to Dallas tomorrow night and that won’t work – so instead, we’ll be drawing our winner TONIGHT!  If you haven’t entered yet, there is still time. All the info and directions are on THAT POST.  Drawing after I get back from dinner with my brother in law and sis in law tonight!

Have a great Sunday, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

14 comments:

  1. Great start to quilting, Aubry! Hey, do you know where the lady with the tan Featherweight got her yellow plastic seam guide? That's cool! I'd love one for my back clamp machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love helping new quilters. Teaching another Kids class Spring Break with my 10 & 13 year old granddaughters in it. I gigted a rotary cutter and mat with a few fat quarters to my 13 year young granddaughter for her birthday coming up this week. She had the biggest smile when she saw the cutter. I'm blogging anout it tomorrow. It made my day to get her reaction! Playing with Jacks and Silly Putty, that brings back memories for me. I used to put the putty on the comics from the newspaper. Did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaaaaaa Aubrey!! You go girl! In our family we were all keen to pick up a needle and thread at a very early age and I am so glad that I did. Did anyone advise here as to quilting's addictive qualities?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing about Aubrey, that is just totally cool. Thanks to her mentor for being willing to bring a 10 yr old, not a relative to a quilt class. AND thank you Bonnie for not only being willing, but being happy about teaching a young person. We so often forget the joy of learning, the joy of a child WANTING to learn. I love that this class embraced a young person, made her feel welcome and shared her joy. That is what I got out of this post. Thank you wonderful quilters for initiating another member of this awesome club.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:54 PM EST

    I am fortunate to work with fourth graders every day! It's my absolute favorite age. Sewing uses and reinforces so many important skills -- basic math, fractions, following directions, planning ahead, and seeing the big picture just to name a few. I have a feeling Aubrey will excel at quilting and quite a few other things as well.

    Cindy in NC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so remember being 10 and the excitement of finally being mature enough to be allowed to stitch on the sewing machine!
    I hope Aubrey retains that "love" for quilty things all her life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being 10 was one of the best years of my life!! Also,I love the tree by the bunk house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic workshop.... to have a youngest making what she did! WOWOW... and all of the ladies look so happy.

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:54 PM EST

    Way to go Aubrey! I wish my granddaughters were as interested in quilting as you are! And congratulations on your win at the fair! I hope you enjoyed your class with Bonnie as much as I enjoyed reading about it!

    Sharon in Trinidad, TX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I noticed a lady in the workshop had on an apron. What a great idea! Just take the apron off when you need to leave the house and you don't need to pick threads and tiny bits of fabric off your clothes! Brilliant!

    Sally in SC

    ReplyDelete
  11. For Cheryl's Teapot. I think that seam guide most likely came from Nova Montgomery. She sells them on her web site. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bonnie! Little Aubrey has inspired me to try this cute block... It will be my first "Bonnie" block, and I can't wait to get going in it..

    BTW I have the two smaller Easy Angle rulers, and Inamorata totally impressed with how accurate my HST's are when I use them... Amazing... Quick and easy... Perfect,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Charity Ellis12:19 PM EST

    Bonnie thank you so much for being so kind to our daughter Saturday. She enjoyed your class so much. God definitely blessed us with this little girl! She enjoys sewing and we are so thankful for Anita, Aubrey looks up to her so much! Again thank you and have a blessed week.
    God Bless,
    Matt and Charity Ellis

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)